Thursday, December 29, 2011

Albums of the Year: 20-11

Getting ever closer to number 1 day by day. Tomorrow will be the big reveal, but until then I have some more great albums for you all. Today includes Switchfoot, Foo Fighters and Florence and The Machine among others. As always check out my other posts from earlier this week.


20. Switchfoot - Vice Verses
Switchfoot cme out swinging with their debut album "The Beautiful Letdown." Including hits such as "Dare You To Move" and "Meant To Live" the album was a hit machine. Then like most bands they found it hard to create the same success with their next couple albums. Despite a few hit singles here and there, nothing hit the same as the debut album. Then 2011 comes along and they went back to what made them great to begin with. This album hits hard and has its soft moments as well. As much as I loved their debut I think this album surpasses it. Awesome job from the local boys. Favorite Song: Vice Verses

19. The Parlor Mob - Dogs
Here is a band that I'm sure not a lot of people have heard of. Dogs is their second album after their incredible debut And You Were A Crow. This band brings us southern rock sound on a more mainstream level. I fell in love with them after I heard their first album and when I found out about Dogs, I knew I had to get it. Of course I was risking running into a sophomore slump, but that thankfully did not happen. They kept the same formally and where their last album left off is right where this one picks up. Again full of hard rock songs and some soft ballads. Great album from them. Favorite Song: The Beginning

18. The Trophy Fire - Modern Hearts
San Francisco bread, The Trophy Fire are a band that I am surprised are not more popular yet. I first heard them when I saw them open for Dredg earlier this year. I promptly went out to the merch table and bought their albums. This new album came out in October of this year, but I didn't get my hands on it until just a couple weeks ago. I was in San Francisco and found it at Amoeba. Fitting that I would find it in their hometown. Such a great listen. I knew these guys were something special when I first heard them and I was right. Nice guys as well, willing to talk to the fans and be sociable. Check them out on Facebook and you'll see what I'm talking about. Favorite Song: Tired Eyes

17. Mona - Mona
Another band that I had no idea about until I saw them live. They opened for The Airborne Toxic Event on their latest tour. Now this should tell you something right off the bat when Mona's album is ranked higher than Airborne's. These guys killed it on stage and it was mainly due to the vocal presence of singer Nick Brown. Nobody knew who they were when they came on, but by the end everybody was rocking out and cheering for more. Along the lines of Kings of Leon, they have seen more success in England than in the states even though they hail from Nashville. I'm predicting it is only a matter of time before the whole world knows the name Mona. Favorite Song: Shooting The Moon

16. Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials 
Who doesn't love at least one Florence song? Everybody raves over Adele's voice, but as far as voices goes I think Florence Welch has one of the best in the business. Her debut album Lungs became an instant sensation, and everyone was clamoring for more. This year gave us her sophomore effort, and once again no sophomore slump here. This album is beautiful and graceful, much like her presence on stage. Amazing job with this album. Favorite Song: No Light, No Light

15. Death Cab For Cutie - Codes and Keys
Death Cab are Seattle's poster child for the indie scene. You can't escape their infectious sounds accompanied by Ben Gibbard's sweet toned vocals. Ushered in by the single "You Are A Tourist", this album does not let up at all. Most Death Cab fans often will argue which is their best album, but I think a lot of people can agree that this one deserves a spot near the top. Favorite Song: Doors Unlocked and Open 

14. Mastodon - The Hunter
Mastodon are quickly creating their own following that is growing extensively year after year. They have been all over the metal map with their albums. They have had the borderline death metal albums from early in their career. They also created the concept albums Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye. This album goes more for a hard rock "let's have fun" album. There are heavy metal influences as well as a hint of 1970s era music as well. This album is a breath of fresh air in the Mastodon catalog that can be pretty dark at times. I still love this band no matter what they produce. Favorite Song: Creature Lives

13. Moving Mountains - Waves
Here is a familiar story: I discovered this band while seeing another band. You'll hear that story again shortly. Moving Mountains exploded on stage and never let up. I had such a great time listening to them live that I had to relive the experience through their albums. While the songs are shorter than their previous two albums, the quality of the music is far from lost. I don't think it as good as their album Foreword, but it is still among the best from this year. Favorite Song: Alleviate 

12. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
How does a band follow up a Grammy winning album? Well this is a good point of reference. Any time the Foo Fighters come out with a new album, you know it is going to have some good songs on it. The great thing about this album is that every song is amazing. From the lead single Rope, to the heavy metal-esque White Limo this album is just filled with hidden treasures. I wouldn't be surprised if they win another Grammy for it. Also if you haven't seen them live I highly recommend it. I saw them for the second time this year and they never disappoint. Favorite Song: Arlandria 

11. La Dispute - Wildlife
On the same bill as Moving Mountains was La Dispute. I had briefly heard their stuff when I saw that Wildlife had come out on iTunes. I gave it a quick listen through the snippets and wasn't entirely impressed. When they came on the stage I wasn't overly impressed at first either. The vocals take some getting used to. But as their set went on they quickly grew on me. It came to a point where I was really liking what I was hearing. I went home that night and downloaded their music. This album is incredible from start to finish. The lyrics grab you and tell a story. It's an impressive listen. To think that someone can basically read you a letter accompanied by music and make it beautiful is amazing. Favorite Song: Harder Harmonies

No comments:

Post a Comment