Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Albums of the Year: 30-21

It is Wednesday and that means part 3 of my top albums of the year. Today is 30-21 and includes some awesome albums. Some that just recently came out too. You can also see 50-41 and 40-31 at there respective links. Hope you enjoy this installment of it



30. Calling All Cars -Dancing With A Dead Man
Yesterday I talked an awful lot about bands that have a typical rock sound but expand on it and make it their own. This is another example of one of those albums. Calling All Cars comes to us from the land down under and bring a hell of a punch with them. This album is a ride that makes you want to grab a hold of something to make it through. A lot of hard punching rock anthems on this album. Favorite Song: Fireworks In A Hurricane


29. City and Colour - Little Hell
I have been a fan of Alexisonfire for quite some time and have always loved Dallas Green's voice. That is of course how I found City and Colour. For those that don't know City and Colour is the name of Dallas Green's solo side project. While Alexisonfire is a post hardcore band, City and Colour is much more laid back. In fact his previous two albums were mostly acoustic songs about love and traveling. This album is a little different in that he is more plugged in, but overall it is a great album. Favorite Song: Fragile Bird


28. U.S. Royalty - Mirrors
Funny story about this band; I had no idea who they were until about 5 months ago I would say. I was in the mall in American Eagle and that is the first time I heard them. I pulled out my phone, opened Shazam and found out who was singing this amazing song (Equestrian). I got home that day and instantly looked up the band and purchased their album. I couldn't have made a better discovery this year out of the blue. This is great southern rock and roll. There are ballads, and guitar songs that keep you coming back for more. The vocals are incredible as well. Favorite Song: Equestrian


27. Emery -We Do What We Want
I have always loved the post-hardcore sounds of Emery. These guys seem to always deliver a sold album every time. I also had the privilege of seeing them live this year for the first time. It was a small venue, but they definitely played to the crowd. This new album is exactly the type of music they should be making from here on out. It's so full of hard heavy songs as well as very melodic and catchy tunes. When I first got the album I had it on a continuous repeat for a long time. Favorite Song: I'm Not Here For Rage, I'm Here For Revenge


26. Chevelle - Hats Off To The Bull
What can be said about Chevelle? These guys are incredible! Originally a three piece band of brothers they are now a three piece band of two brothers and one other. However, they have never lost track of what has made them amazing. I am a huge fan of their first two commercially successful albums and this one has me going back to those glory days. This is their sixth album overall, but their first album never garnered a lot of attention. It is a good sign of things to come for Chevelle. Favorite Song: Arise


25. Luke Bryan -Tailgates and Tanlines
Luke Bryan is awesome. That is all you need to know. He stormed onto the country scene with his second album "Doin' My Thing" and is continuing his success with this latest album. Holding the fun country jam "Country Girl (Shake It For Me)" and the ballad "Drunk On You" this album was destined for success. I enjoyed this album so much that when I got it I couldn't stop listening to it. It took me a while to even finish it because I was playing songs over and over. Favorite Song: Tailgate Blues

24. Blake Shelton - Red River Blue
Speaking of country albums I couldn't stop listening to here is another example. This was the year for artists to just come on out and give it their all. Blake Shelton had early success with his debut album featuring the songs "Austin" and "Ol' Red," but his next few albums went by pretty unnoticed by the masses. It wasn't until his collaboration with Trace Adkins did he become a house hold name. After delivering a couple six packs did he put out a full length album. This was what he made. As far as country albums go, this is among the best of the year. Favorite Song: God Gave Me You

23. M83 -Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
M83 have always made dream like music. It's full of synthesizers and melodic vocals. All in all it is music that can be put on when you are just trying to relax or getting ready for bed. This is no exception. The musical genius is so prevalent that it couldn't be kept on one disc. Hence this is two discs of great music. It's a peaceful listen and the album title is fitting, because this is the soundtrack to dreaming. Favorite Song: Midnight City


22. The Decemberists -The King Is Dead
I think the Decemberists can be called the kings of modern folk rock. And these kings are far from dead. This album is so good that I probably could have put it higher on the list. I really haven't gotten into them over the years until now. This is a great starting point and has opened my eyes to their back catalog as well. It is an album that I come back to every now and then and always enjoy the listen. Good times to be had. Favorite Song: Down By The Water

21. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
I am a fan of Oasis. When it comes to 90s rock bands they are among the elite. Those guys were supposed to be the next Beatles until the self destructed. After the breakup I stayed away from the side projects. I am not a huge fan of Beady Eye and I stayed away from this one too...for a while. I saw Noel Gallagher play at the Wrex The Halls show that is done every year in San Diego. That is what made me go out and buy this album. They are incredible live and this album just solidifies that. Brings me back to the old Oasis days. Probably because some of these songs are rehashed Oasis songs that didn't make previous albums. Favorite Song: (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment