Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Song of the Day 2.8.12

Cover songs go either way for me. Sometimes the cover is really good and on par with the original song. Other times (and most of the time for that matter) are really really bad. I think for an artist to do a cover song they need to embrace the spirit of the artist who made it original to begin with. At the same time they need to make it their own. It's not an easy task. For this reason a lot of bands ultimately fail at cover songs in my opinion. Rarely is there a cover song that surpasses the original, or can be deemed as great as the original. Just a couple that come to mind are Hurt which Johnny Cash had covered from the original Nine Inch Nails, and Turn The Page by Bob Seger covered by Metallica. One of the best covers of all time is one that in my opinion exceeds the original. I am talking of Hallelujah as sung by Jeff Buckley. The song was originally written and recorded by the legend Leonard Cohen. Tonight I will give you that song from the tragic singer that was taken from this world way too early. A common trend for amazing artists. Here is Jeff Buckley with Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment